Sunday, March 18, 2012

Maternal Employment.....good or bad?

This week we focused on maternal employment and the benefits and problems associated with it. On a personal note, I think women should stay home with the children and be homemakers. I understand if there is not enough money and the women needs to work, but if they have means to where the women does not have to work then she should not. We discussed that one of the main reasons women feel they need to work is so they can be equal with men. I understand this but I really believe that men and women are equal, the man works and the women takes care of the home, they are both a lot of work and therefore they are equalizers in my opinion. It was interesting to see the negative outcomes for women staying home and working. Some of these outcomes include, children being less able to connect with people and the world, more aggression at school, depression, etc. Some positive outcomes include children receive a higher education, are less depressed and have better and long lasting relationships with others. I honestly believe that women create stronger bonds with their children when they stay home. Children these days need this close bond at home because schools these days are getting pretty brutal and kids need some place to turn for peace. We also talked about making the home a safe place for children. They truly need to feel that they are loved and cared for and needed at home. I felt this way growing up and loved having my mom there all the time. I remember my mom worked for a time and she was a nurse that worked the night shift. I was about ten years old and my other siblings were still at home. I remember approaching my mom one day and telling her that I missed her being home and she quit her job so she could be a full time mom. Children have a huge impact on their parents if their parents will listen. Looking back I think it is cool that I recognized I needed my mom. I'm glad that I have such an incredible mother who has sacrificed so much just to make her family happy. I love with all of my heart and she will never know how much I really appreciate her.

No comments:

Post a Comment