Monday, March 26, 2012

The Joys of Parenting!

This was the most interesting topic we discussed all semester in my opinion. The first thing we talked about was the purpose of parenting. I wrote down the basics about parenting and a girl raised her hand and said we will raise our children to be Gods. What a thought that is! That really resonated with me. Another thought is that my parents are raising me to be a God, if that doesn't make you want to improve then I don't know what will. Some other responses about what the responsibilities are parents were to create eternal families, help us understand God better and all the power he possess as well as providing for their basic needs. I came to a realization this week. We watched a video about a teenager who liked a girl but the girl only wanted him for his schoolwork. He didn't know what to do so his mom asked him questions of how he thinks he should solve the problem. I realized this was not the case for me and my parents. My mom was the main disciplinary and she would fix my problems for me. I came to her about everything and she would say, "This is what you need to do Kellie" and thats what I did and it always solved my problems. Now, I still have a hard time thinking for myself and making decisions on my own. I also learned that I learned my parenting skills through observing my mom and my sisters and other people around me. My sister and brother and I used to play house when we were little and my sister was always the mom and I was the daughter and she would tell me what to do and I saw how she acted and I gathered from that that I needed to act like that as a mom.  It was very interesting. I am really excited to be a parent but I know I still have a lot of growing up to do and fix things in my life to improve myself so I can be a better parent.

No comments:

Post a Comment